Number of People
This recipe is created by Justine Schofield for our partnership with Everyday Gourmet.
Fancy making sweet potato chips at home but could never get it right? Watch the video and find out how as Justine shares her secret to making crispy on the outside and super sweet and creamy inside chips. The sweet potatoes were deep fried until golden brown in the Tefal Oleoclean Pro deep fryer which filters and stores the oil for you to reuse for your next fry session. And of course, the best way to eat these delicious sweet potato chips is to dip it in sour cream and sweet chili sauce!
1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes in into 2 cm thick wedges and then cut in half again on an angle.
2. Bring a large pot water to the boil and add 3 tablespoons of salt and the bicarb soda.
3. Add the wedges and bring back to the boil.
4. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until they become soft on the outside but they still hold their shape. Strain with a slotted spoon and arrange in a shallow tray.
5. Now combine the cornflour with 1/2 cup of water until it forms a slurry. Pour over the wedges and using your hands, carefully coat each wedge in the slurry mixture.
6. Pre heat oil to 180°C and add the potatoes in batches. Cook for 8-10 minutes turn frequently in the oil so they cook and colour evenly. They are ready when they’re crispy and golden in colour.
7. Transfer to a rack to drain and repeat with the next batch. Keep the first batch warm in a preheated oven set to 100°C.
8. Serve the wedges with a side bowl of sour cream topped with sweet chilli sauce.